Designed as the gateway to Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), the Casey Eye Institute houses the research and educational programs of OHSU’s renowned Department of Ophthalmology.
The $23 million facility consists of a five-story, 82,000 sq. foot building, a 320-car garage, and a bridge connection to University Hospital South. With its research laboratories, administrative offices, surgery suites and outpatient clinics, the institute enables scientists and ophthalmological clinicians to collaborate in developing techniques for prevention and treatment of eye disease.
The building’s clean lines, ever-changing light, and (at the time) the country’s largest glass floor make the building a work of art.
Progressive Architecture, Citation Award for Design Excellence, 1989
GBD Architects Incorporated 1120 NW Couch St., Suite 300 Portland, OR 97209 Tel. (503) 224-9656 email@example.com