The 410,000 sq. foot Center for Health & Healing (CHH) was procured in a non-traditional manner for Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). A developer’s “build-to-suit” approach facilitated a far shorter delivery schedule than would otherwise have been possible; this 16-story building was designed and constructed in less than 32 months.
All parties involved saw an opportunity to create a high-performance building that would be a model of ecologic and civic responsibility. The CHH was designed to make a bold and visible statement to the community, demonstrating OHSU’s commitment to sustainability as well as to Oregon’s economy.
The project set an example of what integrated design with high standards of quality can accomplish on a conventional budget. The building includes research laboratories for OHSU and Oregon State University (OSU), teaching labs for the OSU School of Pharmacy, and clinic space for the General Clinical Research Center. This multi-use medical office building includes out-patient cosmetic surgery, a 10-bed post-anesthesia care unit, an imaging suite and general clinic space.
The CHH was awarded LEED Platinum certification upon substantial completion in October 2006.
- The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) Award, Medical Office Building Category, BOMA International, 2010-11
- “Deep Green: An Independent Film Project.” Matt Briggs, Director/Executive Producer/Writer, 2010
- Wilde, Dennis. “Rx for Platinum.” High Performing Buildings Winter 2009: 6-16
- Urban Land Institute Oregon/SW Washington, 2nd Annual Awards of Distinction, Development of Distinction, 2008
- Gragg, Randy. “A Healthy Dose of Green: A University’s Medical Office Building Achieves LEED Platinum Through Some Very Serious Integrated Design Strategies.” GreenSource Oct. 2007: 86-91
- USGBC Cascadia Region: Living Building Challenge Stepping Stone Award - Water Petal & Integrated Design, GreenBuild 2007
- MacDonald, Adrian. “OHSU Center for Health & Healing.” GreenSmart May 2007: 17-19
- AIA/IIDA Citation Award, 2007
- Office of Sustainable Development 2007: Green Building by BOMA, Business for an Environmental Sustainable Tomorrow (BEST) Award
- Consulting-Specifying Engineer’s ARC Award, 2006
- ACEC Engineering Excellence Regional Award, 2006
- Steffen, Alex. Worldchanging: A User’s Guide for the 21st Century. HNA Books, 2006
- USGBC LEED Platinum