Con-way, Inc. was founded as a small, regional trucking company in Portland in 1929. Although Con-way’s headquarters are now located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, they still control over 17 acres in Northwest Portland and maintain a presence in two large office buildings.
GBD and Con-way created a master plan development framework; using this, Con-way plans to sell parcels to private developers for redevelopment. Con-way does not plan to act as a developer on any of the parcels—development will be mixed-use and market driven. Through the master plan and development framework, Con-way hopes to meet the following goals:
- Design a mixed-use quarter that includes employment, housing, retail, open space and community uses
- Embrace sustainable planning, design and construction in all facets of the development
- Support a multi-modal transportation system that accommodates auto, pedestrians, bicyclists and transit
- Enhance the livability of the entire area
- Create memorable places and spaces that give the site a distinct character and offer places for public activity
- Encourage both market and affordable family housing
- Pursue partnerships with government, institutions and other groups to achieve common objectives
The City of Portland approved the master plan in September 2012; GBD is orchestrating the preliminary stages of this multi-year, multi-phase effort.