Hassalo on Eighth consists of three new buildings of varying density, landscaped private drives and an outdoor plaza. The team is transforming the experience and perception of this underdeveloped district, in the heart of Portland. The project includes over one million sq. feet of new construction; over 600 apartment units; 44,000 sq. feet of retail; and 1,200 below-grade parking stalls.
Hassalo on Eighth is located in Portland’s Inner East neighborhood, where the eastside meets the central city; an area in need of dense, walkable communities. GBD is leading a team to repair this urban fabric with three new buildings, creating one of portland’s first EcoDistricts.
The development team is pursuing USGBC LEED Platinum certification for all three buildings, with a goal of LEED-ND Platinum for the neighborhood as well. Site specific strategies include: rainwater harvesting and treatment; on-site wastewater treatment and re-use with infiltration; district energy; natural daylighting; access to public transportation; among others.
Hassalo on Eighth is targeting completion in summer 2015.
- 657 for-rent housing units
- 592,616 GSF of housing
- 31,707 GSF of retail
- 26,400 GSF anchor retail tenant
- 271,582 GSF of office
- 1,200 parking stalls, mostly underground
- Targeting LEED Platinum within an Eco-District framework
- Klettke, Russ. (2014, March/April). “Hassalo on Eighth: GBD Architects Transforms a Surface Parking Lot into a Thriving EcoDistrct for 1,000 Lucky Portlandians.” gb&d Magazine.
- EcoDistrict Framework
- USGBC LEED Platinum (Anticipated)